GOSHEN — The Goshen Grange building, which stands on the bank of the South Branch Sugar River in the center of Goshen, has a new foundation, thanks to a grant from the Department of Natural and Cultural Resources Conservation License Plate grant program.
These grants are known as “Moose Plate” grants. They are paid for by citizens who purchase the license plates that are decorated with a moose. Moose plate grants fund individual projects to preserve natural and cultural resources that help define the character of New Hampshire.
The top half of the Grange building was built in 1853, the bottom half in 1908. The old foundation of roughly stacked field stones was probably circa 1908. Members of the Friends of the Grange volunteers restacked the stone pillars and rescued the outer foundation walls using iron bars and brute strength in the early 2000’s, but the foundation still needed significant work.
The contractor for the new foundation project was Brian Irwin and Sons. Brian and his sons found themselves crawling on their stomachs for weeks in the extremely cramped space below the building. Thanks to their perseverance, the building now has a firm foundation, good to last for the next 100 years.
The Town of Goshen has also received a $95,000 grant from the Land and Community Investment Program (LCHIP) for an extensive renovation of first floor of the Grange building. That project, just getting started, will provide offices for Town departments and meeting space for town activities.